Тема: Superstitions in the UK and in Ukraine.
Мета: закріпити та порівняти інформацію про народні повір’я в Великобританії та Україні.
Практичні: практикувати учнів в монологічному та діалогічному мовленні; активізувати вживання вивченої лексики в усному мовленні,узагальнити та систематизувати знання учнів з даної теми;
Розвиваючі: розвивати навички усного мовлення з заданої теми, навички читання вголос,вміння самостійно знаходити, аналізувати, використовувати додаткову інформацію,розвивати пам’ять, увагу, вміння логічно мислити;
Освітня: узагальнити та систематизувати знання учнів з теми «Superstitions»
Виховна: виховувати пізнавальні інтереси,сприяти вихованню всебічно розвинутої особистості, повагу до традицій свого народу та народу, мову якого вивчаємо,дисципліну праці, творчу ініціативу, допитливість.
Тип уроку:узагальнення та систематизація знань.
Обладнання: презентація « Superstitions in the UK and in Ukraine », картки з роздатковим лексичним матеріалом, сигнальні картки, дитячі проекти.
- Introduction.Організаційний момент. Повідомлення теми і завдань уроку.
Good afternoon, children! I’m glad to see you. Take your seats. Who is on duty today? What date is it today? I want to ask you one question. Do you believe in superstitions? But many years ago our ancestors believed that nature, animals,plants and other things gave them special sign to help or to punish them in some difficult situations. So, the topic of our lesson is«Superstitions in the UK and in Ukraine». The motto of our lesson will be the words «Every country has its customs».
How do you understand these words?
II Warming-up. Мовленнєва зарядка.
Be attentive now. I’ll tell you the first part of the saying and your task is to repeat my words and continue the saying.
- If a black cat crosses your path (you’ll have good luck in Britain),(bad luck in Ukraine);
- If you walk under a ladder (you ‘ll have bad luck);
- If you break a mirror (you’ll have 7 years bad luck);
- If you talk of the Devil (he’ll appear);
- If you see a small spider ( you’ll get a lot of money);
- If you scratch your left hand (You’ll give money away );
- If you touch wood (your good luck will continue );
- If you find a fourleaf clover (you’ll get good luck);
- If you see 2 magpies (you’ll be happy);
III Main part.Основна частина.
Now,I think you’re ready to talk about superstitions and to compare some Ukrainian and British omens.
Look at the board and pay attention to the words:
omen [ ] прикмета
divination[ ] передбачення
observance [ ]обряд, ритуал
to anticipate [ ] передбачати
mistletoe [ ] омела
holly [ ] падуб
ancestor [ ] предок
T: So what interesting facts about black cats do you know?
P.1 Black cat is a sign of good luck and bad luck in Britain.It is lucky to possess and touch a black cat, but if a sailor meets a black cat when on his way to join a ship he will turn back.In Ukraine, if a black cat crosses your path it is a very unlucky omen. But in Britain, if a black cat crosses your path you will have good luck( if you aren’t a sailor ).
T: And now open your exercise-books and write down 3 superstitions that bring good luck.
Look at the screen.You should complete these sentences.You have 3 minutes.
-On the first day of the month is lucky to say «Rabbit,rabbit,rabbit», because doing so will ensure good luck for the duration of that month.
-In autumn catch falling leaves.Every leaf means a lucky month next year.
— If you see two magpies,you’ll be happy.
T.Whoknows some information about horseshoe?
P.2 A horseshoe protects, brings luck. People hang a horseshoe over doors «for lucky»in Ukraine and Britain. It is also lucky to find a horseshoe and pick it.
T.:Who can tell some words about clover?
P.3 A fourleaf clover brings good luck.
T.: And now let’s talk about one of the oldest omens about mirror.Who is eager to talk about it?
- 4 Mirror is used to see a future suppose, both in Britain and Ukraine. If you want to do it «Take a candle,and go alone to a looking –glass,eat an apple before it, and some traditions say, you should comb your hair all the time; the face of your future companion will be seen in the glass, as if peeping over your shoulder».But if you break a mirror you’ll have seven years bad luck.
T.:What interesting facts about umbrella do you know?
P.5Umbrella is considered unlucky as a gift.An umbrella laid on the table will ensure a quarrel.Opening an umbrella indoors is considered unlucky in Britain. In Ukraine this domestic belief is not widely observed.
T.:And do you know what date and day are unlucky? Why?
P.6 Friday the 13.
2)Well, that’s nice. I see, that you know a lot of interesting things. So now you’ll work in pairs. Your task is to make up short dialogues. Take your cards. You have 3 minutes.
1st dialogue.Black cats in Britain.
2nd dialogue. Black cats in Ukraine.
4th dialogue. Autumn leaves.
5th dialogue. Fourleaf clover.
Ann: Hello, Why are you so unhappy?
Kate: I’m unhappy, because I met a black cat on my way to school.
Ann: What does it mean?
Kate: Don’t you know?If a black cat crosses your path, you’ll have bad luck. And we’re writing a test about superstitions.
Ann: Poor thing. I wish you good luck.
And now let’s read some interesting facts about British and Ukrainian omens and divinations.
Dalmatian dog is an omen of good luck. To meet a spotted dog in the street is lucky. The sight of a spotted dog is supposed to bring luck in exams, if you cross your fingers. In Ukraine it is more common to observe the ritual of eating five petal lilac flower before exams.
Crow usually brings sorrow. But in Britain, they say, when one crow is seen, it’s sign of bad luck; two of good luck; three, of death and four of a wedding. In Ukraine a crow’s cawing is a bad omen.
Cuckoo the observance of successive notes, in a cuckoo song is believed to anticipate the number of years you’re supposed to live. In Britain, people say «Cuckoo!Cuckoo! Cherry tree, Pretty Bird, come to tell me, how many years before you fly, how many years before I die?»
Сricket usually brings sorrow.Both in Ukraine and Britain.if a cricket continues chirping, it is a sign of death.
Moth is a sign of coming letter. In Britain it is believed that if a moth persists flying around . you are about to receive a letter. The size of the moth determines the size of the letter. In Ukraine it is said, that a spider is assign of a letter coming.
Mistletoe is believed to protect against all injury from either fire or water. It is considered very unlucky for a house unless some mistletoe and holly are brought in at Christmas. It should always be kept hanging till the following Christmas. These plants are not so popular in Ukraine.
Ladybird is very lucky, particularly, if it lands on you. It was a favourite dame among little British girls to place a ladybird on the back of the hand, and then toss it into the air, saying “Lady-cow,lady-cow,fly away,free!Tell me which way my wedding is to be: up hill, or down hill, or towards the Brown Clee!”
Knife is a sign of a newcomer both in Ukraine and Britain.If a knife falls,it is a sign that a stranger,a man, will come to the house during the day; a large knife means, a tall man, a small knife means, a short man.
Chimney sweep is one of the luckiest signs widely observed in Britain. Ukrainian people also thinkit is lucky to meet a chimney sweep in the street, though you can hardly see any today.
T.:I’m sure now, that you know everything about superstitions not only in Ukraine but in the Great Britain, too.
So, now join into two groups and divide the superstitions and omens into three groups:
- those that coincide;
- those that differ very much;
- those that differ slightly;
- those that coincide;
- those that differ very much;
- those that are similar but differ slightly;
- In Britain some people believe that black cats bring good luck, but in Ukraine they are thought to bring bad luck.
- Hanging a horseshoe over the door brings good luck.
- Passing under a ladder brings bad luck.
- Finding a penny brings good luck ( “See a penny, pick it up, all day long you’ll have good “)
- Many British children believe that fairies live at the bottom of their gardens, and British and Ukrainian children believe that the Tooth Fairy replaces with money any teeth that come out and are put under the pillows.
- If you make a wish on a falling (shooting) star, your wish will come true.
- A four- leaf clover brings good luck..
- Lightning never strikes twice in the same place (= the same piece of bad luck does not happen to a person twice.)
- The number thirteen brings bad luck.
- If you break a mirror it will bring bad luck.
- If you spill salt you should take a little and throw it over your left shoulder into the face of the devil.
- Seeing two magpies together brings good luck.
- Seeing one magpie is unlucky.
- Friday when it is the 13-th day of a month is unlucky ( Black Friday.)
T.: Next task is a crossword. You have 3 minutes to do it.
- Summing –up and homework.
So our lesson has come to its end. Thank you for your activity and you get the following marks…
Your hometask is to make up your own sentences with the words from the crossword.
Have you got any questions? The lesson is over.